Approaching Easter: windows into the heart of Jesus
Selected Scripture references
Preaching: John Symons
Song: The Power of the Cross “O to see the dawn of the darkest day…”
Truly my soul finds rest in God;
my salvation comes from Him.
Truly He is my rock and my salvation;
He is my fortress, I will never be shaken. – Psalm 62:1-2
- We thank God for the trust we can have in Him, knowing that He is sovereign and that His Will is playing out, even if we don’t understand it.
- We can thank God for the advances in technology that allow us to communicate and to continue interacting with our brothers and sisters in Christ even as things enter a lockdown state.
- We thank God that the Government is acting and is doing the right thing in working to mitigate the dangers of the Covid-19 pandemic.
- We pray for our fellow South Africans during the lock down, we pray that it will be taken seriously.
- We pray for those who have to face lockdown in tough situations, financial distress, poor conditions, isolation and overpopulated spaces.
- We thank and pray that God would work through the many meetings of christian brothers and sisters over the internet, that God would work powerfully through them.
- We pray for our Church leadership, we thank God for their effective responses and ask that God encourages them and continues to work through them in these situations.
- We pray that as a church body we will be checking in with all our brothers and sisters at Christ Church Stellenbosch, so that no-one is left feeling isolated or alone.
- We pray that we as Christians can use this time as an opportunity to turn to God and to deepen our relationship with Christ in His Word, in Prayer and in Worship!
- We pray that in all things, in our actions and in the response of the world to this pandemic that God’s holy name is held up and glorified and that more would turn to Him in this time.
Song: Holy Spirit living breath of God
Listen to sermon here:
Windows into the heart of Jesus
- Determination Mark 10:32 – 34 (also Eph. 4:21-23; Rom. 8:13; Heb. 12:1-2)
This happens on the road to Jerusalem, and shocks his disciples
For discussion: how do you typically respond to situations of severe trial and temptation? How might Jesus’ example be an encouragement to you?
- Encouragement Mark 14:3 – 9
At a house in Bethany Jesus is anointed by Mary
For discussion: who has been an encouragement to you in difficult times? Who can you encourage during the lockdown period to continue to look to the Lord?
- Wrestling Mark 14:32 – 34
In Gethsemane we have the clearest and most heart-rending window into Jesus’s mind approaching the Cross
For discussion: why are we often offended by the message of the cross? How does the cross help us to continue to look to Jesus in difficult times?
Song: When I survey the Wondrous Cross